This page provides answers to questions that we are often asked about the Coronavirus

I think I have symptoms of coronavirus what should I do?

The online 111 coronavirus service is your first port of call for advice

I have symptoms of coronavirus how long do I self isolate for?


Please see

There is also advice here about protecting household contacts, what to do if a vulnerable person lives with you, cleaning and laundry considerations.

I still have a cough but I have completed my self isolation, what should I do?

It is vital you self isolate for 7 days after your symptoms started.  After these 7 days:

  • if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to self-isolate after this period.
  • it is common for your cough to continue for a few weeks
  • if you still have a high temperature, keep self-isolating until your temperature returns to normal

See link below for more info:

I have already self isolated but I have a new cough or fever, what should I do?

If you have a new cough or fever it is vital you self isolate again according to the guidance above.  When you isolated initially you may not have had coronavirus.

How do I get a sick note?

If you are isolating because you or a household contact has symptoms of coronavirus, you can get an isolation note for your employer online. GP practices are not issuing fit notes in this situation.  See link below.

Can I use ibuprofen?

There is currently no strong evidence that ibuprofen can make coronavirus infection worse, but until we have more information, take paracetamol to treat the symptoms of coronavirus, unless your doctor has told you paracetamol is not suitable for you.

If you do not have symptoms of coronavirus, you are ok to use ibuprofen as you normally would.

Am I in the very high risk of coronavirus group?

Patients in the very high risk group should have been contacted automatically by NHS England.  The link below contains the list of conditions considered at very high risk. This list applies to adults and children.

People on this list are advised not to leave their house under any circumstance (so called “Sheilding”) and are eligible for support getting supplies.

To register for this support click the link below:

Recent advice also identified those at increased  but not very high risk who should be encourage to work from home where possible but do not need “shielding”.

I am taking immune suppressing medication, should I stop them?


In general no, the advice is to continue your usual medications, including medications like methotrexate that affect the immune system.

I take an “ACE inhibitor” / “ARB”, should I stop it?

These are medications like Ramipril, Lisinopril, Losartan or Candesartan.


The European Society of Cardiology  and The Council on Hypertension strongly recommend that patients should continue treatment with their usual blood pressure medication.

However, if you are particularly unwell or at risk of dehydration please discuss with a GP as medications are often altered in this situation.

Am I eligible for financial support

Please see link below

I am pregnant what do I need to know?

Please see link below:

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website